This article describes and list the reasons of why Steve Jobs has not adopt Flash in it’s major developments like iPhone..etc This ‘open-letter’ was addressed by Steve following criticism from Adobe.
Claims Made By Adobe
- This is only to protect their (Apple) App Store (business gains)
- Flash is open and Apple is not; that’s why they avoid flash
Steve Jobs Says Flash Sucks Big Time – With Reasons
1) Flash is mis-using the term ‘Open’.
Adobe’s Flash products are 100% proprietary. They are only available from Adobe, and Adobe has sole authority as to their future enhancement, pricing, etc. While Adobe’s Flash products are widely available, this does not mean they are open, since they are controlled entirely by Adobe and available only from Adobe. By almost any definition, Flash is a closed system.
2) Apple is geared more towards Open Web Standards.
3) Flash is not secure.
Proof for this security claim is backed by the recent Symantec report which said Flash has one of the worst security records in 2009.
4) Flash has poor performance on Macs and is the first candidate in causing a crash in Macs’ system.
5) Flash eats too much battery life
6) Flash does not cope for touch based devices
7) Adobe insisted that if Apple were to use Flash, developers would need to build apps on top of a Flash layer – this would mean being dependent on a layer which stands between The Platform and Developers.
Conclusion – Flash Is No More An Integral Part
I end with two interesting lines from Steve Jobs:
- “..Flash is no longer necessary to watch video or consume any kind of web content. “
- “Perhaps Adobe should focus more on creating great HTML5 tools for the future, and less on criticizing Apple for leaving the past behind.”
Read The Whole Exact Response Of Steve Jobs’ Thought On Flash
You can catch the whole fresh apple cake at Job’s bakery (click here), good read!